Employment and Tenancy Help

Being stood down

If your employer’s business is temporarily closed or you are stood down, you will not have permanently lost your job; your employment contract remains valid.

For full and part-time employees, your employer may direct you to use your paid leave entitlements. You are now able to take your leave at half of your normal pay, but for double the amount of time (if your employer agrees).

Losing your job

If your employer has chosen to end your employment altogether, they must still provide you with your correct entitlements and give you sufficient notice.

Note: you cannot be dismissed if you are temporarily away from work due to being sick (with COVID-19 or another illness), or any reason that is harsh, unjust or unreasonable.


If your employer’s business is receiving the new JobKeeper wage subsidy, your employer must pay you $1,500 per fortnight (Please note that this amount may change from September 2020, depending on your circumstances. Visit the ATO website for details.)

You can receive these payments if you are a full or part-time employee, or a casual employee who has worked for more than 12 months. If you believe your employee is acting unfairly, make sure you contact the Young Workers’ Centre Victoria for free advice!


Services Australia payments

If you are out of a job, have reduced hours, or not receiving the JobKeeper payments, there are still other government schemes out there for you. You can register for these payments online, in person, or over the phone.

  • JobSeeker: available if you are 22 years and over, and an Australian resident who is out of work and passes the assets test, you may be able to claim up to $565.70 per fortnight
  • Youth Allowance: available if you’re an Australian or New Zealand full-time student who is 24 and younger, and passes the assets test. Those receiving Youth Allowance payments may receive an extra $550 per fortnight under the COVID-19 pandemic.

Information on residential tenancies

From March 20 2020, there is a nationwide moratorium on all residential tenancies in financial distress caused by COVID-19 for the next 6 months. While your rental payments may still be due, you will not be forced out of your property.

Landlords and tenants have been repeatedly asked to negotiate rental reductions in good faith. If you are still struggling, you may be eligible for assistance from the Victorian Government. Rental assistance is available if you have a revised rental agreement or gone through mediation, have less than $5,000 in savings and still are paying at least 30% of your income in rent.

Support services and resources

    Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Facebook

Keep up–to–date with all things MSA Find out more