Student VISA Restrictions

To enter, transit or stay in Australia, non-citizens require a valid Australian VISA. VISA is a form of authorisation issued by the government granting you the right to visit, study or work.

It is important to know the duration and rules of your VISA. Consequences of breaching your VISA conditions include deportation.

Apply for a student VISA with your education agent or explore your VISA options here.
Check your VISA details and conditions here.

Student VISA Conditions

Condition 8104/8105: Work Restrictions (as of April 2023)

Due to current workforce shortages, there is no limit on the working hours for student VISA holders.

From 1 July 2023, work restrictions will be re-introduced. Click here for more information.

Further information will be provided closer to the date, but plans include working hours to be capped at 48 hours per fortnight.


Condition 8202: Meet Course Requirements

  1. Remain enrolled in a registered course
  2. Maintain enrolment in a registered course that is the same level as, or at a higher level than the registered course for which you were granted a visa. 
  3. Maintain satisfactory attendance in your course and course progress for each study period as required by your education provider.



Condition 8501: Maintain health insurance 

You must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance during your entire stay in Australia. Normally, it is the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). 

Note: You must not enter Australia before your OSHC has begun or remain in Australia after OSHC has expired.


Condition 8516: Maintain eligibility

You must continue to satisfy the requirements which granted you your student visa. For example, that you have the financial capacity to support your study and stay in Australia.


Condition 8517: Maintain education for dependants

Adequate schooling arrangements must be maintained for your school-age dependents who will be in Australia for more than three months.


Condition 8532: Maintaining welfare arrangements for minors 

If you are below 18 years of age, you must have accommodation and support. Additionally, general welfare must be maintained for the duration of your stay in Australia.

To maintain your welfare, you must stay in Australia with:

  • your parent or legal custodian; or
  • a relative who has been nominated by your parents or custodians who is aged over 21 and is of good character; or
  • have accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements in place that have been approved by your education provider.

Without the written approval of your education provider, you are not allowed to change your arrangements. Additionally, you are not allowed to enter Australia before the date specified by your education provider or until welfare arrangements start.


Condition 8533: Inform education provider of Address

You must notify Monash of :

  • Your residential address (where you live in Australia) within seven days of arriving in Australia
  • Any change to your address within seven days of the change
  • If you change education providers. This must be done within seven days of receiving the electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) or other evidence of enrolment from your new education provider.

Work Conditions (as of April 2023)

Until 31 June 2023, there are no restrictions on work for international students:

  • Can work before course commences
  • Can work more than 40 hours a fortnight in any sector of the economy)


As of January 2022:

  • Cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia
  • While studying, you can only work up to 40 hours per fortnight (Does not apply to Masters by research or PHD students)
  • During holiday breaks (course not in session but has already commenced), you can work unlimited hours

Click here for more information

What is considered “Work”

The following is not included in the 40 hours limit per fortnight:

  • Work that is formally registered as part of your course
  • Voluntary and unpaid work that is:
    • benefiting the community
    • for a non-profit organisation
    • genuinely voluntary (i.e. you are not paid in cash or any other forms)

Note: Above information on “What is considered Work” is referenced from TME. While information is referenced, we DO NOT endorse or promote their services.

Fortnights (From 1 July 2023, 48 hours per fortnight)

A fortnight is a period of 14 days starting from Monday and ending on the second following Sunday.


  • Fortnight 1: 40 hours worked. Does not exceed the 40 hour fortnightly limit.
  • Fortnight 2: 50 hours worked. Exceeds the 40 hour fortnightly limit. Student VISA work conditions have been breached.
  • Fortnight 3: 40 hours worked. Does not exceed the 40 hour fortnightly limit.

Tax File Number (TFN)

A Tax File Number (TFN) is a number issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) that identifies you in the Tax and Superannuation System.

Click here to learn about TFN.

We recommend obtaining a Tax File Number prior to starting work. Click here for more information on how to apply for one.

Your Workplace Rights

All workers in Australia, including those from overseas, have rights and protection under the Australian employment law. These rights cannot be overruled by contracts or agreements.

Available in 37 languages, the Fair Work Ombudsman contains all the information you need on minimum wage, leave arrangements and shift calculations. They can be contacted by phone within Australia on 13 13 94 (Translating and Interpreting Service 13 14 50).

For more information on work restrictions, click here.

    Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Facebook

Keep up–to–date with all things MSA Find out more