Tax Help

Tax Help is closed and will commence once more in July 2024.


Tax Help is a network of ATO-trained and accredited Monash student volunteers who provide a free and confidential service to help people complete their tax returns online using myTax.

MSA/MPSU Tax Help Centre is open from the 25th of July to the 31st of October each year. Appointments will be open from late July, and will be available from this website.

Am I eligible for Tax Help?

You are eligible for Tax Help if your income is $60,000 or less for the income year and you did not:

  • Work as a contractor (for example: a contract cleaner, taxi driver, Uber driver);
  • Run a business, including as a sole trader (that is, if you have and use an ABN);
  • Have partnership or trust matters;
  • Sell shares or an investment property;
  • Own a rental property;
  • Have capital gains tax (CGT);
  • Receive royalties;
  • Receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund;
  • Receive foreign income, other than a foreign pension or annuity;

If you are eligible for Tax Help, you will need to have a myGov account linked to the ATO. For instructions on how to create a myGov account and link it to the ATO, please click here.

How can volunteers help me?

Volunteers can help you lodge your tax return online with myTax or claim a refund of franking credits. If our volunteers work out that you don’t need to lodge a tax return, they can help you complete a non-lodgement advice. Note: volunteers are unable to help you with amendments.

Booking an appointment

When you are ready to make an appointment, make an appointment online. Please book appointments at least 48 hours prior to appointment time.

Remember to bring these to your appointment:

  • Your myGov user ID and password;
  • Your bank account details (BSB and account number);
  • Your tax file number;
  • An original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years (the assessment needs to have been issued before 31 May this year);
  • Income statements from all sources;
  • All your receipts for gifts, donations and work-related expenses;
  • Details of any child support payments made;
  • Details of any losses on investments in shares and rental properties (net investment losses);
  • If you had a spouse (married or de-facto) at any time during the financial year, you also need to bring details of their taxable income or a reasonable estimate.

Appointments will be postponed if you do not bring the above items to your appointment.


Becoming a MSA/MPSU Tax Help Volunteer

'The [Tax Help] experience helped with my applications because most applicants for entry-role positions (grads, etc) didn't have any tax experience. I've asked about 10 grads in my business unit and non of them had any relevant experience...' - 2022 Tax Help Volunteer

'Due to this program, I confirmed my interest in tax and started as a graduate in the corporate tax team at one of the big 4 accounting firms.' - 2022 Tax Help Volunteer


If you would like to become a Tax Help Volunteer, become an MSA Volunteer today and choose 'tax help' as an interest. You will then be contacted when applications are open.

Alternatively, if you are a Parkville Student, become an MPSU Volunteer today and choose 'tax help' as an interest. You will then be contacted when applications are open.

    Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Facebook

Keep up–to–date with all things MSA Find out more